Virtual Golf Course: Prairie Dunes Country ClubAugust 21, 2015
An American original and one of the most scenic golf courses anywhere
This week, TruGolf is headed to the Sunflower State for scenic views, rich history, and championship golf. Near Hutchinson, KS, is a world-renowned course, with a style of play that belies its location. Prairie Dunes Country Club, a links style golf course located in the middle of America, will rival the best tracks of the British Isles. It was opened in 1937, and has been widely considered one the best courses in the world, ever since.
Prairie Dunes Country Club
Par: 70 | Yardage: 6,759
- The golf course was founded by Emerson Carey, owner and founder of the Carey Salt Company and his four sons.
- Emerson Carey was a passionate golfer and had traveled the world to play the best golf courses. Many believe the links style of Prairie Dunes was inspired by his time golfing in Scotland and why he chose Perry Maxwell to be the architect.
- The golf course was designed by Perry Maxwell, who is known for the Scottish influence on his designs, and the renovations he made to Augusta National Golf Club.
- These renovations include: Moving the tee-box back 50 yards on the first (now the 10th) hole. This changed transformed the hole from a benign par-4 to one of the most difficult holes in Masters Tournament history.
- Ben Crenshaw said that Maxwell’s re-design of the 10th at Augusta was, “one of the great strokes in golf architecture.”
- Prairie Dunes received its Audubon International certificate:
- Audubon International is a non-profit that works with community developments and golf courses to implement sustainable resource management.
- Prairie Dunes Country Club is widely considered to be one of the best courses in America. Honors include:
- #9 of America’s Best Classical Golf Courses – Golfweek
- #30 of America’s Best Classical Golf Courses – Golf Digest
- #16 in the US and #25 in the World – Golf Magazine
- #2, #8, #10 among the Best 99 Holes in the U.S. – Golf Digest
Play Prairie Dunes Country Club
Remember, you can play Prairie Dunes Country Club and other world-class golf courses with E6Golf and TruGolf indoor golf simulators.
Each Friday we will select a hole from our course library. This weeks course is Prairie Dunes Country Club. Simply join the event in E6Golf v1.6, then test your skills against golfers from around the world. The rules are simple; each player gets a specified number of attempts to get closest to the pin. These attempts can be taken anytime during the week long event. Use all attempts at once, or save some for later. More Info