Virtual Golf Course: Wade HamptonNovember 21, 2014
The Giant in Gray
This week we are headed to Cashiers, North Carolina, beneath the Great Smokey and Blue Ridge Mountains. This is where you will find Wade Hampton, one of the finest golf courses in the world.
Wade Hampton is considered by most serious golfers to be an outstanding example of golf course design. The course balances new ideas and old traditions to create an always unique and extremely challenging round of golf. The courses’ design never belies the surrounding beauty of Cashiers. The result is seamless imbrications of manmade and natural beauty and an outstanding round of golf.
Length: 7,302 | Par: 72
- Wade Hampton Golf Course is referred to as “Tom Fazio’s Masterpiece.” Designed by Fazio in 1982, the legendary architect said he has many “fond memories of its creation and maturity,” and that “Wade Hampton has been and always will be a special place for me and my family. “
- The course has been ranked:
- 10th Most Beautiful Golf Course in America by Golf Digest
- Received a top 20 ranking in “Best 100 American Golf Courses,” by Golf Digest
- Was voted the best golf course in the state of North Carolina.
- The course has hosted several Senior Amateur tournaments and championships since 1955.
- The course was eponymously named after Colonel Wade Hampton III, better known as the “Giant in Gray.” Hampton was a decorated Confederate soldier who served under Robert E. Lee.
- Colonel Hampton served as the governor of South Carolina and a U.S. Senator. Much of his childhood was spent in Cashiers where the course was built. The founders of Wade Hampton Golf Club chose the name to esteem the traditions of sportsmanship and honor that Colonel Hampton exhibited.
If Wade Hampton Golf Club were a painting, it would either be on display somewhere or locked away as a part of some collector’s private gallery.” – Links Magazine